April crime prevention tips
Traditionally in Monroe County when lobster and crab season conclude, we notice a rise in marine thefts. Stemming from lower units, engines and marine electronic equipment. Having this in mind a few suggestions in protecting and deterring
• Please take photos of your property and store them in a safe place.
• Document serial numbers from motors, electronics, dive gear
• Engrave or etch a mark in items that do not have serial numbers so only you know where and what it is
• Lock items in storage after rinsing them off from a day of use
• Turn the breaker off that controls the davits or boat lift when leaving town for any period of time
• Have a neighbor watch your property if you are out of town for the season or a weekend
• Do not leave keys in the boat
• Purchase a locking nut for your lower unit and engine mount
With many seasonal residents heading north please remember MCSO has the “Premise Check” while you’re away. Whereby a resident fills out a form and patrol officers will conduct regular checks of the home to verify it is secure. This service is free to all, and the form may be picked up at the Cudjoe Substation.
Please remember we have the Sheriffs Office drug drop off program. You can drop off unwanted prescription medication (no needles) at any Sheriffs Office substations across the county. We will be glad to pick up such items.
No paperwork required.